Sep 11, 2009

Covered Photo Album Tutorial

Remember this post here? Well, I got all of my gifts done and in the mail last week. Hopefully they've all arrived at the intended destinations so this won't spoil the surprise of it all. I used this tutorial on sprucing up a notebook and added my own twist! And since I did the guinea pig work for you; hopefully my tips will save you time and frustration!

SUPPLY LIST:
Small photo albums (I found mine at Wal-Mart for $1)
Mod Podge
Fabric Scraps
Ribbon
Fray Check
Spongy Type Paintbrush (do NOT use one with hairs ... trust me!)
Hot Glue Gun and Glue

Measure your photo album and cut fabric to fit.

Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the outside of the album with the spongy brush. If you use the type with hairy bristles, they tend to come out and make a mess.

Carefully smooth fabric down over the Mod Podge. It will soak through a bit; that's OK!

Cover fabric with a second thin layer of Mod Podge. Be sure to smooth out the lines with your brush and press out any air bubbles. Put aside to dry (approx. 2 hours).

Trim your ribbon to wrap around the album and have enough extra to tie. (Here's where I messed up; I cut 2 strips of ribbon for each album, instead of the one continuous piece ... aaaak!)

Treat ends with fray check so that the ribbon does not unravel!

Hot glue ribbon to the outside of the album after you measure to get the front and back equal.

Tada! Very nice inexpensive gift!

11 comments:

floreksa said...

Got it and LOVE IT!! Although Ally has now stolen it from me and has all of her pictures in it. LOL

Shannon said...

Love it!! I've now bookmarked this new crafty blog!

The Stiffs said...

Beautiful! If I ever have a spare minute, I'll try it. I modpaged a scrapbook cover with postcards and advertisements from a Disney Trip about 12 years ago. This is much cuter.

April said...

Very cute Lisa!

Kelli W said...

That is SUPER cute! I have been needing some inspiration to use my Modge Podge...thanks for the get craft idea

Jenners said...

I'm so not a crafty person but even I might be able to pull this off. I just like how the Modge Podge bottle looks ... looks incredibly dated and so 60ish.

Anonymous said...

so cute! I love modge podge :)

Laurie said...

So pretty!

JennyMac said...

You are awesome. This turned out perfectly.

Laura said...

I got mine, Lisa, and it is ADORABLE! I may consider making a bunch of them for Christmas gifts for family and friends. :)

You rock!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Very cute! Those make a great gift!