Mar 10, 2009
Do It Yourself Pillowcase Dress Instructions
Pillowcase Dress Instructions
12 months – 3T
You Will Need:
½ yard of 45” fabric
2 yards of grosgrain ribbon
Let’s Get Started:
1. Match the selvage edges of your fabric, press the fold and cut the fabric along the fold. You should have 2 equal sections; 18” x 22 ½”.
2. Press a ¼” hem along each of the long edges of the front and the back. Fold over and press again to eliminate any raw edges. Stitch each hem.
3. Press down ¼” along the top (the edge that was the fold) of the front and the back. Press down another 1” to form the casing. If you are using larger ribbon, you will need to make a larger casing. Stitch.
4. With the right sides together, stitch the front and the back together starting at the bottom and stopping about 5 ½” from the top to leave an opening for the armholes. Go over the top of this stitch multiple times to prevent the seam from pulling apart.
5. Press open the seams of the inside of the dress.
6. Press the hem on the bottom of the dress about 1”, and then press up another 1” so that no selvage edge is visible. Stitch hem.
7. Cut your grosgrain ribbon into 1 yard strips. Apply fray check to the ends of the ribbons to prevent fraying.
8. Run the ribbon through the casing. Pull an equal amount of ribbon out of each end. Stitch the ribbon in place in the middle of the casing. Go over the stitch at least twice. Repeat the process for the back of the dress.