Oct 30, 2009
Children's Tool Belt Tutorial
2 9x13 pieces of base fabric (I used the canvas type fabric)
2 3x18 pieces of base fabric
2 6x13 pieces of matching pocket material (I used flannel)
1 4x7 piece of pocket material fabric
**Seams are 1/4 inch.
1. Create the ties. Fold the 3x18 piece of fabric in half lengthwise; iron.
2. Fold one end of the tie in 1/4 inch, iron.
3. Fold the bottom portion of the tie in half (below the fold you created), iron.
4. Repeat with the top half. Repeat these steps with the 2nd tie.
5. Create the loop. Fold the 4x7 piece of flannel in half, iron.
6. Fold the bottom portion in half again, iron.
7. Repeat with the top part.
8. The small loop should look like this.
9. Sew down the entire length of both ties and the top part of the loop.
10. Place the two 6x13 pieces of flannel together, right sides facing. Stitch along the top edge.
11. Iron open the seams. Fold along the seam so that the right sides are both facing outward. Top stitch along the top edge.
12. Measure off 2 dividing lines for the pockets. One at 4 1/2 inches and the other at 9 1/2 inches. Place the flannel pocket piece on top of the 9x13 backing piece. Line up the bottom edges.
13. Sew along the marked lines, back-stitching at the top to add strength.
14. Pin the ties and loop to the backing/ flannel pocket piece. **Be sure that the ties come to the center and that the loop is to the center of backing/ pocket piece; otherwise, the ties and loop will be on the wrong side!
15. Place the second 9x13 backing piece on top of the backing/ pocket piece, right sides together. Run your ties out the top of the pieces to reduce the bulk while sewing. Sew around the sides and bottom. Backstitch over the ties and loop for strength. Cut away any bulky ends.
16. Flip the tool belt right side out. Fold the top pieces in so that they are flush with the tops of the ties. Iron flat.
17. Top stitch around the entire perimeter of the tool belt. Be sure that you sew all layers closed along the top.
You are finished!