Jan 18, 2010

Charm Pack Twirl Skirt Tutorial

Photobucket
Ingredients:

1 -2 Charm Packs (you’ll probably need one with a minimum of 42 pieces) *
1 inch non-roll elastic
Coordinating fabric for the waist band
12 month – 18 month – 19” by 4”
2T – 21” by 4”
3T – 4T - 23” by 4”
*I used the Love U pack by Deb Strain
**Seams are ¼ inch
Photobucket

1. Place your pre-cut squares in three equal rows. You can use any number of squares depending on how full you want the skirt to be. I used 14 squares/ row.
Photobucket
2. Place each square, right sides together and sew the right side. Repeat until you have a long strand of squares sewn together. Iron the seams flat.
Photobucket
Photobucket
3. Place row 1 and row 2 together with right sides facing. Sew along the top edge of your long rows, sewing the 2 pieces together. Unfold and iron your seam.
Photobucket
4. Take your row 1 and 2 piece and fold it in half, right sides together. Sew the open end to make a large loop of fabric.
Photobucket
5. Prepare your hem piece. Fold row 3 in half, right sides facing and sew the open end to make a large loop of fabric. Iron your seam.
Photobucket
6. Turn your third row right side out (now a large loop). Fold it in half the entire length of the loop and iron flat.
Photobucket
7. Sew the hem band onto the top (row 1/2) piece. The top piece should be right side out. Line the hem band up with the bottom of the top piece. I like to make my pieces offset a bit so that the lines aren’t lined up exactly. Slip the top piece inside your hem band and pin together.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
8. Sew the top piece and the hem band together and finish the edges.
Photobucket
9. Fold the hem band out and iron flat.
Photobucket
10. Prepare your waist band. Fold your waist band fabric in half lengthwise and iron. Top stitch along the top fold of the fabric.
Photobucket
Photobucket
11. Sew the hem band to the skirt body. Gather small segments of the skirt together and pin to the hem band at regular intervals (right sides facing).
Photobucket
Photobucket
12. Sew together and finish the seams.
Photobucket
13. Remove the pins and iron flat.
Photobucket
14. Cut your length of elastic as directed on the package. Place a large safety pin through one end and run the elastic through your hem band.
Photobucket
15. Pull the elastic tight. Pin together and stitch. Trim lose pieces of elastic.
Photobucket
16. Slide the elastic around so that the sewn edge is hidden in the hem band casing. Push one side of the hem band fabric into the casing and fold the other side flat with a small lip pushed under. Sew this closed.
Photobucket
You are finished!

21 comments:

snarflemarfle said...

That is just darling!! My little missy would love one of these. Will there be some up in your store?

Unknown said...

M- Probably not, but I would be glad to make one for Avery.

Unknown said...

So cute (like all your stuff). I wish I had a little girl to sew for. Mine is getting so big now.

heidi said...

Oh. My. Gosh. How freaking ADORABLE is this skirt? I simply MUST have another girl or B will be wearing one soon enough.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

that was over my head, but I bet my MIL would love to make one for her granddaughters! I'm forwarding this to her!

Kelli W said...

So cute! Now, what can I make similar to that for my boys?!?

Shannon said...

So cute!!

Jenners said...

You are always doing the cutest things!!!

onecraftalicousmomma said...

I cant wait til I can go to the fabric store..I love this skirt, Im so going to make my daugher one.

Donna @ Mudpies & Memories said...

I love this! I've made a lot of twirl skirts, but never thought to use a charm pack. Thanks for the tutorial !

McCryssy said...

I really need to learn to sew. Got a sewing machine just collecting dust upstairs.

snarflemarfle said...

Do you follow this blog? She posted a link to your skirt there today!

http://kari-youcanmakeit.blogspot.com/2010/01/charm-pack-twirly-skirt.html

Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com said...

Very sweet and cute! I featured it in my side bar!
http://treasuresfortots.blogspot.com/

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

Lovely!! I will have to try this one out. (See I REALLY REALLY need a girl!!)

Oh...and you asked...I get most of my fabric from JoAnn's. I like buying it online from fabric.com too, but I hate not being able to touch the fabric before I buy it!

Heather said...

Great job!!! I love it. Too darn bad I don't have a girl. BUT my sister is pregnant and I am crossing my fingers that she gives me a girl to spoil LOL. LOVE it. I love the owls-we call them "hooties" lol.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I totally want to beg my Mom to make this for me as I can't sew to save my life. Ah ha

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

this is an awesome tutorial! I love this skirt!

Natalie said...

This is so cute!! I have just been planning a charm skirt! This is probably a dumb question - but does it matter if I serge the edges instead of sewing and pressing flat? Thanks!

Very Shannon said...

Love this tute! I added you to our link luv round up today, come by for a peek! http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2010/01/link-luv-roundup.html
If you would like a "featured on luvinthemommyhood button" for your pretty blog, send me an email to luvinthemommyhood@yahoo.ca

Sarah said...

Do you know if you can buy this fabric online? I LOVE LOVE LOVE this skirt :)

juli said...

Check out beautiful Marimekko fabrics for your projects!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ScandinavianFabrics?ref=si_shop